Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I can do anything I put my mind to.

Everyone always has goals in life. Graduate college. Get married. Have a family. Get a good job.... The list can go on and on. 

I've had a goal for awhile now, ever since I started to lose weight, I wanted to run a half marathon (13.1 miles). 

Always figuring I'll do it someday. At the end of April my 52 year-old mother completed a half marathon. I was inspired. I wanted to run. I wanted to raise money for causes important to me and run. 

Only a few weeks later I found myself waking up and prepping to run. My phone (which is a liar) says it's 68°. "Perfect," I think. " I should be able to run about 6 today." 

After stretching I head outside, wait for a good GPS signal and start my run. 

Once I get going I realize it is a little warmer than 68°. I pass a bank sign and it reads 85°. I think, "okay it's warmer than I thought, but I got this." I figure I can run three then turn around and head home. 

But something happened on my run, I got this crazy idea... Why not try 13.1 and try to get home in three hours. 

With my water supply depleted after mile 6 I was dreading the way back home. I was on a bike path, I tried to focus on my surroundings and not the sun beating down on me. 

If I had known I was taking on the task of 13.1 miles I would have put sunscreen on. (For those of you who do not know me that well I am always one of 2 colors, porcelain or lobster.) See picture for end result. 


Not only do I have aches and pains from my run, but I am burnt to a crisp. 

Running until I couldn't anymore I return home. 13.13 miles ran and my time reading 2:57:54. 

I'm ecstatic... I didn't know today way going to be the day that I reach my goal, but it was and I learned an important lesson. 

I CAN DO ANYTHING I PUT MY MIND TO
and you can to. 

Goals and dreams are achievable. If I can do it so can you. 



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment